In the early 1800's this Bandit Island served as a camp for a band of river pirates under the command of outlaw Big Bob McCarty. The island is between Tobacco Chute and Branch Lake and received its name because over the year many bandits used it as a hideout. Tobacco Chute connected the River with Branch Lake. Tobacco Chute was named when a boat transporting tobacco burned and sank. By the 1930's the pirates where driven out of Bandit Island.